• Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @astronaut_hs

• Yearbooks on Sale Now! $100 Room 122

Can You Top This?

Hannah Sakuma, Yearbook Editor

Mrs. Morgenthal’s Food Prep class made the batter for coffee cake in 6th period on Monday, September 25th.  The students will then create a topping for the cake consisting of cinnamon and sugar on the 26th.  The preparing of the coffee cake and the cooking takes place on two separate days due to the new time restrictions.

“The students will put the batter into a plastic bag because we will be baking the cake tomorrow.  Tomorrow we will be off and running because of the time constraint.  One reason why we are baking a coffee cake is to teach them how to bake a cake and create any easy topping.  I believe that this recipe is perfect for when the students are in college and beyond.  It is an easy recipe that they can even use instant dry milk for,” teacher Mrs. Morgenthal said.

The students, divided into different kitchens started measuring and pouring as soon as they put on their aprons and washed their hands.

“We kind of call out which directions in the recipe we want to do.  If I do not want to do a step then I ask someone else.  We work as a team to finish the steps.  Normally our kitchen has some time left over before the bell.  I think the people in my kitchen work well together,” senior Destiny Mellott said.

The students sometimes create competitions in which kitchens had the “better” recipe.

“[Our kitchen] is trying to make the best possible coffee cake Astronaut has ever seen.  This is my first time making coffee cake, but I can guarantee you that it will be better than our last recipe.  We burnt our chocolate-chip cookies. I am looking forward to trying the coffee cake.  The topping of the cake sounds like something I would like to eat,” sophomore Josiah Johnson said.

Some students have also made the coffee cake in previous years.  Mrs. Morgenthal says that she trusts them to help out the other students who have not been in Food Prep before.

“I made [the recipe] once and it came out very light and sweet.  I prefer to eat the cake warm rather than cold because you taste more of the flavors when it is warm.  I cannot wait to taste the finished product tomorrow,” senior Katherine Newell said.