• Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @astronaut_hs

• Yearbooks on Sale Now! $100 Room 122

Beating the Odds

Tri-Marea Charles, 11, Staff Writer

With losing their coach, Astronaut War Eagle girl JV basketball team were able to continue with winning season for 2 years in a row.

Regarding a new coach, the girls try to recuperate and build stronger. They didn’t know if the coach would impact their season coming up. Working with a new coach can be difficult.

“I think when our new coach came, she brought inspiration and our connection as a team gained strength,” sophomore Jada Hughes said.

Tough moments in the season began to break away, the team finally started to find rhythm. They worked on learning new skills and communicating better on the court.

“I felt that we started out bad. I began to realize that we were progressing and started to play very well,” junior Alfreda Watkins said.

With a well fought season, Astronaut girls JV basketball team managed to finish with a winning record two years in a row.

“We did pretty good last year, and we bounced back with another fantastic and fun season,” junior Tykeria Gillyard said.

With the existence of the new coach, players feel comfortable where they are now. They believe their new coach had a positive impact on the winning season. Lack of focus in the beginning of the season, caused the team to give up at times and not concentrate on playing as a team. They started to work on building trust and connecting with one another to overcome their problems.

“We ended our season with a record of 20-5, which means we have had two seasons back to back with winning records. Without the hard work and dedication, the players gave, they wouldn’t be where they are now,” coach Symone Gillyard said.

When they started winning, the team started to realize if they work together, they can be successful. The team is looking forward to next season to see what’s in store for them.