• Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @astronaut_hs

• Yearbooks on Sale Now! $100 Room 122

All About Track

Destiny Boothe, Yearbook Staff

Track isn’t just running; it’s also pole vault, long jump, discus throwing, and more. Track has practice every week day, except for Fridays when meets are held. Mondays at practice are conditioning days. The long distance and short distance training is separate doing workouts tailored to fit their events.

Long distance training involves two laps to warm up the body, another lap to warm up, running an up and down ladder, and then warming down with one mile. One long distance runner, senior Marc Smith, has been running for seven years. The events he runs are the open 400, open 800, and also the 4×4 and 4×8, which are both relay teams.

“I feel really good while running because it’s something I love doing. It makes me feel accomplished when I get to the finish line before all of the other runners in my event,” Marc said.

Short distance training includes running about 4 laps around the track and going to the weight room afterwards. Senior Tykeria Gillyard runs the 100, 400, and the 4×1.

“My favorite event to run is the 400 because I like the feeling I get as I run and the feeling coming around the last curve to push myself to take a higher place. I’ve been running track for three years and I have lettered for each year,” Tykeria said.

Meets usually last for about five hours, opening with the 4×8 at the very beginning, then going to the 100 and 110 hurdles. The different events take place all at the same times. There are some people that are in more than one event, for example, someone could do pole vaulting but also run the 400. Track takes a lot of hard work and determination because sometimes it’s physically demanding and can get tough. Fortunately, the team always finds a way to push through any difficulties that come along the way.